History of the Bristol Channel Yacht Club
Swansea in the 19th Century saw a phenomenal growth in the population from around 2000, in 1809 to over 120,000 by 1895. During this period the town, which occupies a sheltered position at the mouth of the River Tawe, developed into one of the major seaports of the United Kingdom. The growth was related to the abundant local supplies of coal, with the local landowners, who held mineral rights, opening collieries and exporting vast amounts of coal (1,652,414 tons in 1894). The town was also at the centre of the world’s copper trade. The first smelter opened in 1809 with copper and other ores being brought to the town, via the port. A chemical industry also developed locally. In addition, the manufacture of tinplate, as carried out within a radius of 12 miles of the port, was estimated to be three quarters of the total UK production. The area had many wealthy industrialists, who lived in large houses. There was a flourishing export and import trade, with shipping offices and shipping agents. A few families were involved with the building of large ships in considerable numbers. Many countries had consulates in the town. The affairs of the port were managed by a Harbour Trust.
Pilot boats, from Swansea and Neath, have raced in Swansea Bay since the late 18th century, and are depicted in paintings by local artists. Prizes were donated by local businessmen and the Harbour Trust. The earliest reference of a regatta in Swansea Bay is for the year 1823, although there is a reference to a sailing match in 1819. Local oyster skiffs raced for special prizes. By 1828 there were sailing matches for all boats not exceeding 30 foot in length. In the early 1830’s several yachts came from Milford Haven and the Bristol Channel ports to compete at the Swansea Bay regattas.
To encourage attendance of yachts, at the local regatta a spectacular Challenge Cup (value 100 guineas) was executed. This cup was competed for over a 7 year period and in 1859 was won outright by Vigilant, a 22 ton yacht of Mr J.C. Atkins from Ireland. Another important trophy was the Singleton Cup donated by Mr Vivian (who owned one of the local copper smelting works). This cup was won outright by the yacht Psyche for wins in 1833-1835 (the cup was raced for by yachts not exceeding 2 tons). In all, almost 200 different yachts competed in regattas, held in Swansea Bay, during the 19th Century. There were 2 excellent races, held in 1861, – involving Glance (a 36 ton yacht owned by Mr Duncan of the Royal Thames Y.C.) and Lurline (a 40 ton yacht owned by Mr Atkins of the Royal Cork Y.C.). Glance won both races. Up until the mid 1860s the main yacht race at Swansea Regatta was confined to yachts (not exceeding 25 tons) from any Royal Yacht Club, but the rule was relaxed in later years. Most races were time races with a handicap system (usually of 50-60 seconds, per ton).
It is interesting to note that for most of the yacht races held in the 1800s very few yachts entered (seldom more than 6). It was often a condition of a race that there had to be at least 3 entries. The yachts had distinctive flags and there are numerous references in the local press to boats being built, modified, or sold. In 1871 almost £200 was subscribed for the regatta and the list embraced practically all of the local industrialists in, The Harbour Tryst and those influential in local society.
The formation of the B.C.Y.C and the early days
The popularity of yacht racing with large crowds assembling to watch and the success of the 1874 Regatta inspired officers and friends of the sport to hold a public meeting so that yachting could be formally organised.
The meeting was held at the Castle Hotel in Wind Street, Swansea on 24th February 1875 to promote a new yacht club. (The Castle Hotel was patronised largely by gentlemen connected with shipping as well as those of the commercial world in general) It was agreed at the meeting that a yacht club be formed to be called the Bristol Channel Yacht Club and the station to be at The Mumbles; that the new yacht club be amalgamated with the Mumbles Billiard Club and that the affairs of the club be managed by a Commodore, Vice Commodore, Rear Commodore, Hon. Secretary, Treasurer and a committee. The joining fee to be ½ guinea and the annual subscription 1 guinea. The aim of the club was the encouragement of sailing and racing in Swansea Bay and various places in the channel.
The B.C.Y.C. as it is often referred to, was the 1st yacht club to be established in the Bristol Channel. The 1st Commodore was Henry Hussey Vivian of Singleton, later to become Lord Swansea, whose steam yacht was the Eothen. He remained Commodore until his death in 1894. One of the patrons of the B.C.Y.C. was Mr C.R.M. Talbot of Margam Castle, a wealthy landowner, M.P for over 50 years, industrialist and a former Vice Commodore of the Royal Yacht Squadron (1851-1861). He had a number of yachts including Galatea. Initially members of the B.C.Y.C. met in 2 rooms at The George Hotel, separate from the licenced part of the premises. By 1876 the club had a membership of 130 and 4 patrons. £103 was spent on prizes in the year.
The club’s first regatta was held on 1st June, 1875, when the 1st prize of £10, for yachts over 12 tons was won by Rose Elizabeth. In addition to the Swansea Bay regattas members also supported The Tenby, Ferryside, Mumbles and Weston regattas. Members of the Bath family were prominent members of the B.C.Y.C. Edward Bath was the first Chairman of the club. H.J. Bath sailed his yacht Leander at the Pembroke Dock Royal Regatta of 1857. The Bath’s were a Swansea family of Cornish decent. Their business was shipbuilding, and the movement of copper ores from Chile to Swansea. Charles Joseph Lambert, owner of the steam yacht Wanderer married Susan a daughter of Henry Bath. The Wanderer made a 2 year voyage around the world and a book detailing the voyage is a yachting classic.
In 1883 the club was asked to quit the George, and moved its headquarters, a short distance, to take the lease of a house called Treffgarne, which belonged to Mr Strick (who owned 10,000 ton ships of the STAN shipping line). He was very generous to the club. A piece of land adjacent to the Treffgarne was leased for the purpose of building a billiard room.
In 1890 the club purchased 2 boats Alert and Alarm for the purpose of training members to sail. The club employed a boatman Captain W.M Bevan. In 1890, The Condor, sailed by a member of the shipping trade in Swansea, J Clarke Richardson (who in 1894, became Commodore of the club) sailed to Illfracombe and back, a distance of 48 miles, taking 2 hours 34 minutes out and 2 hours 50 minutes back and was for many years a record for the distance.
In 1896 there was a large regatta held in Swansea Bay – the so called Royal Regatta since Britannia was joined by Meteor, Satanita, Caress and (the winner) Ailsa in the main yacht race for a gold cup. Isolde and Corsair competed for another cup. The scenes of this regatta are depicted in watercolour, by the marine artist Charles Dixon who was a member of the B.C.Y.C.
In 1897 Lord Dunraven became Commodore of the club (and held the office until his death in 1926). Another Royal Regatta was due to take place in 1898, but at the last moment the large yachts withdrew (in order to prepare for another challenge at Cowes, by the new Meteor). Again at the last moment trawlers from Brixham came to race in the Bay and continued to do so at the main regattas for a number of years. (See also Gower vol. 58, 2007: online for details of the Great Swansea Bay regattas). In 1902 an agreement was signed with R.E. Jones to buy the plot of land on which the clubhouse now stands. Within 3 months £3000 of the £4000 needed had been subscribed. Local industrialists Roger Beck donated £1000 guineas and Messrs Isaac and David Grasbrook 600 guineas and 500 guineas respectively. The well known architect Mr Glendenning Moxham designed it and Bennett Bros did the building, but before building commenced 4000 tons of rock had to be blasted away. The new clubhouse was opened, to its 230 members, on 4th August 1904, by the Earl of Jersey.
Many members of the B.C.Y.C, in the early years, enjoyed playing cards, or billiards in the clubhouse. In 1906, world billiards champion John Roberts Jnr. played a few exhibition matches at the clubhouse. 30 members paid 10/6 to watch. John Roberts Jnr. is widely recognised as having introduced snooker into England and subsequently helped to popularise the game. In later years, snooker became popular at the B.C.Y.C. and an annual handicap tournament continues to the present day.
At the turn of the century Lord Dunraven was winning trophies nationally. A few members of the B.C.Y.C were yacht owners and they sailed for the Dunraven Challenge Cup, the Richardson Cup and the Vice-Commodore’s Cup. An interesting insight into the organisation of local yachting, in Swansea Bay, is provided by the minute book of the B.C.Y.C. sailing committee, kept during the period 1897-1907. The sailing committee consisted of The Earl of Dunraven, Cory Yeo, J.P Rose Richards, Islay Young, Roger Beck, J Clarke Richardson, Talfour Strick, E.H. Bowers, Vaughan Davies, Le Boulanger and P. Langdon Thomas. In 1897, Captain Davies and Rose Richards supervised the fitting out of the 2 smaller yachts, the yachts to be ready by 1st April. The hire charge was 7/6. Cups, as prizes were donated by Flag Officers, the Chairman and in 1896, by the Mumbles Regatta Committee. The following races were organised and there was considerable discussion, at committee, as to the terms and conditions of the races.
Race 1: Open no restriction as to crew, the best helmsman.
Race2: Open Race for best helmsman not more than one other of the members, called an old sailing hand to be shipped, as crew.
Race 3: Novice race for best helmsman, members classed as Senior helmsman to be excluded from competition. Not more than 1 of the members classed as old sailing hands to be shipped, as crew.
Race 4: Crews race 2 members to sail in each boat no restriction as to which steers. Each of the crew to receive a prize.
Race 5: Single handed race 1 man in each boat; starting from moorings. No entrance fee 7/6 hire charge.
In 1908, pre season, there was a meeting of those interested in the Swansea Bay Handicap Amateur Sailing Races. In 1909, it was noted in the press, that members of the newly formed Swansea Bay Sailing Club had 17 yachts. The Commodore of the S.B.S.C. was Captain Naerup with Mr S. Burgess Vice Commodore and Mr W.G. Mason as Rear Commodore. The first annual dinner took place in the George, during October. Again it was suggested that they adopt Thomas Measurement, or one class of boat. There was also a need for a new shelter for the yachts.
The inaugural race of the S.B.S.C. was held in June 1909. Col. J. Edwards Vaughan, Vice Commodore of the B.C.Y.C became President of the S.B.S.C. For the next 3 seasons regular fortnightly races were held for major trophies. Interestingly (re the B.C.Y.C) the President of the S.B.S.C said “one does not like saying unkind things of one’s own Club, but I cannot help wishing ‘sometimes’ that we had as many keen yachtsmen there, as we have in this club”. In 1911 members of the S.B.S.C had 19 boats the best being E.L Behenna’s yacht Hyacinth, which had 3 staterooms, a main cabin and a crew of 5. E.L Behenna was a Vice President of the Royal Temple Y.C. and a member of the S.B.S.C. In 1914 a well attended meeting of the newly formed Mumbles Sailing Club was held in the Gladstone Refreshment Rooms. The inaugural race was held in May. Harry Davies was elected Commodore.
After the successful regatta of 1896 attempts were made to establish the Swansea Regatta, as an annual fixture and a substantial sum of money was subscribed and a cup purchased (for the aborted 1898 regatta), but unfortunately the R.Y.A could not give Swansea a fixture and so the idea remained dormant until 1907, when ex-Alderman Bradford took the lead. An approach was made by the then mayor Ald. J.H. Lee, to the B.C.Y.C. and the Harbour Board with a view to cooperating with the town in holding a regatta in Swansea Bay, during 1909. A favourable response was received both from the town and from Sir Thomas Lipton who indicated that if possible he would support the regatta. A meeting was held in London with Yacht Club representatives and yacht owners, on 4th November 1908, and a date was fixed by the Royal Yachting Association for a regatta, to be held in Swansea Bay, on 29th May 1909.
A series of meetings was subsequently held in Swansea to make arrangements for the 1909 Regatta and a substantial sum of money, £1200, was raised for prizes and expenses. The Regatta Committee also agreed to bear the considerable costs of towing yachts from Dover to Swansea and thence to Queenstown, a distance of 600 miles. Sir Thomas Lipton (one of whose grocery stores opened in Swansea in 1889) agreed to tow as many yachts as possible with his steam Yacht Erin. The Regatta was held over the Whitsun Bank Holiday (29th and 31st May).In the race for large yachts (23 metres) White Heather II and Shamrock raced. The other British yachts in the class with one exception were laid up and none of the foreign boats were able to take part.
Prize money at the 1909 Regatta was in excess of £900 and £250 was given for towage of the yacht. All the money was raised by subscription and was in excess of any available at any other British coastal regatta.
After the 4 ½ hour race Sir Thomas Lipton received, in the clubhouse, the magnificent trophy. It was one which in future years took pride of place in his collection. Sir Thomas alluded in his speech to his forthcoming challenge for the America Cup.
The Y.R.A had been impressed by the 1909 Regatta at Swansea that it decided, without application, to include Swansea in the 1910 list. Again Shamrock beat White Heather II and Sir Thomas Lipton collected another trophy (both the 1909, 1910 and the 1926 trophies are now at Glasgow Museum).
After the 1910 race Sir Thomas again spoke about his challenge for the America Cup. Lord Ailsa (whose famous yacht Bloodhound had raced in 1909 and 1910) commented that Swansea people took more interest in the yachts than at any other place the yachts visited around the coast of Britain. In 1910 Sir Thomas placed his yacht Erin at the disposal of the Mayor for charitable purposes.
Since more places wanted regattas than there were slots in the Y.R.A calendar, it was agreed that Swansea after 1910, would have a 3 year cycle, alternating with the Royal Mersey and the Royal Cork regattas. In the 1913 main yacht race Mariquita beat Norada. The Prince of Wales donated a cup for the trawler race.
The Hon. Secretary of the B.C.Y.C at the time of the 3 major regattas was Mr F Andrews, an ex-Swansea Rugby Union Forward, who played against both England and Scotland to win 2 caps. Many military personnel became temporary members of the club during the years of the 1st World War.
Post First World War
In Oct 1919, King Abdul Aziz’s third surviving son ‘the Emir Feisal’ visited Britain to congratulate King George V on the Allied victory W.W.I. Emir Feisal became King of Saudi Arabia in the 1960s and was assassinated in March 1975. During the visit to Britain, in 1919, he was accompanied by his cousin, Sheikh Abdullah al Thunaiyan, Sheikh Abdullah al Qusaibi, the son of a prominent Saudi merchant from the Eastern Province of Al Hasa, and three retainers. The party was escorted by Harry St John B Philby of the Indian Civil Service. Philby was a great Arabian explorer and friend of the Saudi King. He wrote several books about Saudi Arabia. As part of a tour of the provinces, the Emir Feisal came to Swansea, visiting the Bristol Channel Yacht Club on Saturday 8th November 1919. There was a photograph taken and Emir Feisal signed the visitor’s book.
From 1914 to 1921 there was little, or no local sailing. The 1921 regatta revived a pre-war spectacle, which up to that date had no place in post-war B.C.Y.C, activities. It was a reminder that things were getting back to normal. Yachting was still considered the sport of the few, with necessary nautical knowledge. In 1926, the B.C.Y.C boats Alarm and Alert were broken up and burnt. In 1926 there were the major Jubilee races of the B.C.Y.C. On 26th June 1926 a vast crowd, estimated at 70-80,000 persons came from all parts to watch the regatta in Swansea Bay. Shamrock (the winner) Britannia, White Heather II and Westward competed in the main race for a gold cup presented by the Western Mail. (The Pathe news for 1926 includes a clip from the regatta and can be viewed online) A sea plane was in the bay. In 1929 an estimated crowd of 50,000 witnessed the regatta held on 8th June. White Heather II won the main race (in 5 hours 7 minutes 50 secs) from Shamrock, Cambria and Lulworth. The Western Mail again provided a gold cup. The large regattas helped to enhance the status of the town, were enjoyed by the public and helped to publicise the amenities of the area and the attraction of Swansea Bay. A major player in the 1926 and 1929 Swansea Bay and Bristol Channel Yacht Club regattas was Major J.P. Rose Richardson, of the Swansea shipping family. He became Commodore of the B.C.Y.C. (1930-1932). He was also a founder member and later Commodore of the Royal Ocean Racing Club. He finished 5th in the 1921 Fastnet Race, with his yacht Lexia. In 1928 he purchased the “classic yacht” Iolaire. It won the Maas Cup, in 1926 and the Heligoland Race, in 1931. Another of his yachts was Polaris.
Members of the Strick, Bellingham and Player families were other prominent sailors at this time. Col. J Edwards Vaughan, Vice Commodore of the B.C.Y.C. was an admirable deputy for Lord Dunravan.
Over the years, in addition to land owners, business personnel, members of the legal profession, Members of Parliament and medical practitioners, the club has had other distinguished members including those from the world of the arts, broadcasting, science and sport. Many of the clubs members have also had distinguished military careers. Other members have distinguished records of service to the local community. An early member of the B.C.Y.C was the Duke of Teck Sir Arthur Whitton Brown, navigator on the 1st transatlantic, flight of 1919, was an Honorary Member of the club. A.M.L Eccles served in the Suffolk Yeomanry and was a Grand Prix racing driver, at Brooklands, Donnington and the Isle of Man, driving Bugattis. Arthur J Whitford was a gymnast at the 1928 Olympic Games. Sir Thomas Lipton became a member and in the 1909-1910 main races sailed Shamrock under the B.C.Y.C burgee. In the 1920s and 30s Glamorgan County Cricket Club progressed to first class county status, thanks to the support of a number of counties from England. Tal Whittington, J.C.Clay, M.J Turnbull (who both played for England, and T. Arnott were all member of the B.C.Y.C. and entertained fellow cricketers, from other counties in the clubhouse. These were important meetings at a time when Glamorgan C.C.C. was developing contacts in the transition from minor county status. Prior to the outbreak of the Second World War there were 2 significant events in the history of the B.C.Y.C. First the building, circa 1938, of the squash court and again in 1938, the formation of the adjacent Mumbles Yacht Club. During the war years military personnel again used the clubhouse.
Post Second World War
His Grace the tenth Duke of Beaufort was elected to membership of the club in 1919. His 50 years of membership was marked at a special dinner, held in his honour in 1969. He was presented with a pair of gold cufflinks. In return His Grace, Mr H.D Bevan and R.S Whitson presented to the club a watercolour of the 1896 Regatta, by Charles Dixon. His Grace was Commodore of the B.C.Y.C from 1933-1983. Post war Sir Tasker Watkins V.C., Kinsley Amis, Winfred Vaughan Thomas, Emelyn Hooson M.P and Derek Scott were just a few of the notable members of the B.C.Y.C.
Many members of the B.C.Y.C. have been members also of the Mumbles Yacht Club and there developed, post war, a close association between the 2 clubs. Many local people converted ships lifeboats, or rowing boats, for sailing whist others, over the years purchased single class yachts and have sailed for pleasure, or competitively. A full account of racing in the different yacht classes in Swansea Bay is provided in the 50th anniversary year book of the Mumbles Y.C. The Mumbles Yacht Club had a small hut on the promenade (pictured far left), which was a familiar sight for many years and accommodated equipment required by race officers.
Post-War the B.C.Y.C commissioned Williams of Aberystwyth to design a yacht. 2 yachts were built (Kunda and Dauntless), to a design by J.F de Jones. However, they were not popular and were disposed of (The design details appear in the Yachting Year 1946-47). The B.C.Y.C. later purchased a boat, circa 1946, from Milford Haven. Over a brief period, other boats were purchased, by the B.C.Y.C and subsequently sold, including a 5 ton yacht and an 18 footer. Later a boat, Wendy, was purchased, but sold (to a G.P for £250) in 1948, as it was little used. In 1950 two Swansea motor yachts – Warrior, owned by Major Charles Brewis and Fairwood, owned by Mr S.J Jeffrey, had a very successful haul of trophies, in one of the big international events for motor yachts – the International Pavillion d’Or Rally at Dinard. Warrior won the Pavilion d’Or and Chrystal Cup awarded to the winners of the greatest distance in the rally. Warrior also won the Royal Sport Nautique de la Meuse Cup, for the longest none-stop run by sea-463 miles from Swansea to Ostend. On the cruise was Dr A Hudson who won many yachting events nationally and who also achieved fame for his endeavours in a bad weather race to Cork, as described by his companion Adlard Cole. Dr Hudson presented one of the Dinard trophies to the B.C.Y.C. Dr Hudson, on the occasion of his 90th birthday, received honorary membership of the B.C.Y.C for his contribution to yachting.
M V Fairwood was chartered to H.R.H. the Duke of Edinburgh during Cowes week, 1953. It was also used by Royalty at the time of the investiture of the Prince of Wales. It was the last vessel to leave the South Dock in Swansea. Mrs Jeffrey kindly donated the log-books of the Fairwood, to the B.C.Y.C. The B.C.Y.C. has pictures on display in the clubhouse and it featured in Yachting World, in 1961. In 1951 the B.C.Y.C. joined the then newly formed Bristol Channel Yachting Conference which succeeded an informal grouping formed some 15 years previously. It is a voluntary association of cruising sailing and yacht clubs. Its objectives are to co-ordinate activities of the constituent clubs to discuss matters of common interest and to take necessary action to promote and encourage the spot of yachting. The centenary of the B.C.Y.C was celebrated, in 1975, with a series of events, both yachting and social. There were snooker, golf and squash tournaments, in addition to centenary yacht races, a cocktail party and lavish dinners. At the time of the Suez Canal crisis a luncheon club was formed and it met on Fridays for many years. There was also an Annual dinner to commemorate the sinking of H.M.S. Hood.The centenary of the building of the clubhouse was, in 2004, celebrated with a lavish dinner, as was the 80th birthday of HM The Queen. The Mumbles Squash Club and the Steel Company of Wales Squash Club, post war used the B.C.Y.C facility, but unfortunately, over the years, there have been problems of damp, affecting the walls and the floor.
Mention should be made of notable yachting events of more recent years with which B.C.Y.C members have been associated. In 1971, Dr P Harry and his crew won the 18th National Class Championship, held at the Royal Findhorn Y.C. In 1980, cheering crowds lined the South Dock in Swansea, when transatlantic yachtsman Chris Butler returned home after his 2 month voyage in the Observer Transatlantic Race. It was a rough weather race and the log is in the possession of the B.C.Y.C., as is the burgee of the epic voyage. In 1984 Chris Butler, in one of his own yachts, competed in 5 single handed races, always finishing and gaining 2 wins. One such race was a transatlantic race OSTAR (at that time the most important race in the international calendar, even including the Olympics), completed with the fastest crossing ever within the rules in a 30 foot yacht, a race well known for its high attrition rate. He was the first man to design and build a production yacht, racing the prototype to a win in OSTAR. This race was first held in 1960 and subsequently won in 40 days by Sir Francis Chichester. In recent years the B.C.Y.C. has supported numerous, national, European and world championships, organised and hosted by the Mumbles Y.C., including the G.P world championship, in 1985. The Bristol Channel race for the Cock O’ the British Channel Challenge Cup is still sailed for a magnificent silver challenge trophy, first presented by Barry Y.C. in 1936. Dr A. Hudson won the trophy on numerous occasions. The Daily Post Challenge Cup, awarded for a speed boat race, at the 1929 Regatta, originally called the Welsh National Trophy and now called the Evening Post Cup is today presented to the winner of a series of weekend races organised by the B.C.Y.C. Another race organised by the B.C.Y.C. for many years was The Western Channel Race for Bristol Channel Yachting Conference points and the Beaufort Bowl. In 1991, a successful tournament was organised by the B.C.Y.C. for races of identical Benteau yachts. The annual race for the Scarweather Trophy, presented by Dr A Hudson, over 50 years ago and organised by the B.C.Y.C, is another popular race. More recently the Lee Cup has been awarded for a pursuit race, organised by the B.C.Y.C. This cup was presented to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the first Shamrock visit, in 1909, to Swansea Bay. Most recently a race to Ilfracombe, for the Richardson Cup, has been reinstated. All B.C.Y.C. races are today supported by the M.Y.C. In recent years modifications to the promenade on the area adjacent to the MYC and B.C.Y.C have taken place, but a lay-up or harbour, has still to materialise.
Members of the B.C.Y.C., the Mumbles Y.C, Swansea University Y.C and the Swansea Yachting and Sub Aqua Club continue to race in Swansea Bay and members of these clubs continue to have success nationally, including Cowes and were involved recently at the Olympics. There is an enthusiastic band of youngsters who are to be seen in their small boats, off Southend – learning the techniques and skills of yachting from experienced local yachtsmen, who give freely of their time. In 2008, club member Mr Eddie Ramsden received one of the awards for services to yachting. In 2004 most of the Archive records of the B.C.Y.C were transferred to the Headquarters of the County Archive Service, based in Swansea. All reports of the Sailing Committee of the B.C.Y.C are housed in the clubhouse, together with yachting memorabilia. For many years Dr A Hudson, M.C Brown and Dr R Jones have held the position of Sailing Captain, at the B.C.Y.C. Mention should also be made of the contribution of Mr J Kostromin and Mr D Scott, as boatman at the B.C.Y.C. The names of those who have made significant contribution to the club are recorded on a silver tray and many of the race winners over the years are remembered by inscriptions on the club trophies. In 2008 The Association of Yachting Historians held a meeting, in Swansea, hosted by the B.C.Y.C in conjunction with Swansea Museum and the County Archive Service.
Ronald L Austin (Hon Archivist)
Austin, R.L, 2007. The Great Swansea Bay Regattas, 1896-1929: the Large Yachts. Gower vol 58, pp. 23-36. Available online.
Austin, R.L The Archive of the Bristol Channel Yacht Club. In Annual Report of the County Archivist 2006-2007. West Glamorgan Archive Service, Swansea, 2007 pp. 33-36
Austin, R.L, unpublished 20th Century Sailing in Swansea Bay. Manuscript deposited at Swansea City Reference Library and at West Glamorgan Archive Service (and at Waterfront Museums and Swansea Museum at a future date)
Austin, R.L, unpublished 19th Century Swansea Regattas with emphasis on yachting. Manuscript deposited at Swansea City Reference Library and at West Glamorgan Archive Service (and at Waterfront Museum and Swansea Museum at a future date)
Rogers W.C 1975, Bristol Channel Yacht Club 1875-1975. In Centenary Programme B.C.Y.C 1875-1975.
Rogers W.C. Bristol Channel Yacht Club membership chronological list of surnames 1875-1975 et seq. (arranged alphabetically. Document D/D B.C.Y.C 3/10)
The Mumbles Yacht Club Yearbook 1988
The Cambrian, The Daily Post, Western Mail, Mumbles Weekly Advertiser, Evening Post and The Herald of Wales Newspapers.