Bristol Channel Yacht Club
Founded 1875

©2013-2016 Bristol Channel Yacht Club. Contact Webmaster

Previous Home


In this Post-War  period the BCYC commissioned Williams of Aberystwyth to design a yacht. 2 yachts were built (Kunda and Dauntless), to a design by J.F de Jones. However, they were not popular and were disposed of (The design details appear in the Yachting Year 1946-47).


The BCYC later purchased a boat, circa 1946, from Milford Haven. Over a brief period, other boats were purchased, by the BCYC and subsequently sold, including a 5 ton yacht and an 18 footer. Later a boat, Wendy, was purchased, but sold (to a G.P for £250) in 1948, as it was little used.


In 1950 two Swansea motor yachts – Warrior, owned by Major Charles Brewis and Fairwood, owned by Mr S.J Jeffrey, had a very successful haul of trophies, in one of the big international events for motor yachts – the International Pavillion d’Or Rally at Dinard. Warrior won the Pavilion d’Or and Chrystal Cup awarded to the winners of the greatest distance in the rally. Warrior also won the Royal Sport Nautique de la Meuse Cup, for the longest none-stop run by sea-463 miles from Swansea to Ostend.


On the cruise was Dr A Hudson who won many yachting events nationally and who also achieved fame for his endeavours in a bad weather race to Cork, as described by his companion Adlard Cole. Dr Hudson presented one of the Dinard trophies to the BCYC. Dr Hudson, on the occasion of his 90th birthday, received honorary membership of the BCYC for his contribution to yachting.