Bristol Channel Yacht Club
Founded 1875

©2013-2016 Bristol Channel Yacht Club. Contact Webmaster

Previous

Post Second World War

His Grace the tenth Duke of Beaufort was elected to membership of the club in 1919. His 50 years of membership was marked at a special dinner, held in his honour in 1969. He was presented with a pair of gold cufflinks. In return His Grace, Mr H.D Bevan and R.S Whitson presented to the club a watercolour of the 1896 Regatta, by Charles Dixon.


His Grace was Commodore of the BCYC from 1933-1983.


Post war Sir Tasker Watkins V.C., Kinsley Amis, Winfred Vaughan Thomas, Emelyn Hooson M.P and Derek Scott were just a few of the notable members of the BCYC.


Many members of the BCYC. have been members also of the Mumbles Yacht Club and there developed, post war, a close association between the 2 clubs. Many local people converted ships lifeboats, or rowing boats, for sailing whist others, over the years purchased single class yachts and have sailed for pleasure, or competitively. A full account of racing in the different yacht classes in Swansea Bay is provided in the 50th anniversary year book of the MYC.


The Mumbles Yacht Club had a small hut on the promenade (pictured far left), which was a familiar sight for many years and accommodated equipment required by race officers.

Original photo by D Gwyn Johns 1958 courtesy of Mumbles Yacht Club

Next