©2013-2016 Bristol Channel Yacht Club. Contact Webmaster
In 1897 Lord Dunraven became Commodore of the club (and held the office until his death in 1926). Another Royal Regatta was due to take place in 1898, but at the last moment the large yachts withdrew (in order to prepare for another challenge at Cowes, by the new Meteor). Again at the last moment trawlers from Brixham came to race in the Bay and continued to do so at the main regattas for a
number of years. (See also Gower vol. 58, 2007: online for details of the Great Swansea Bay regattas).
In 1902 an agreement was signed with R.E. Jones to buy the plot of land on which the clubhouse now stands. Within 3 months £3000 of the £4000 needed had been subscribed. Local industrialists Roger Beck donated £1000 guineas and Messrs Isaac and David Grasbrook 600 guineas and 500 guineas respectively.
The well known architect Mr Glendenning Moxham designed it and Bennett Bros did the building, but before building commenced 4000 tons of rock had to be blasted away. The new clubhouse was opened, to its 230 members, on 4th August 1904, by the Earl of Jersey.
The new Clubhouse, opened by the Earl of Jersey on August 4th, 1904.